Soal Latihan tentang Ungkapan Talking about Ability beserta Kunci Jawaban – Ungkapan talking about ability adalah ungkapan yang digunakan untuk menunjukkan kemampuan seseorang. Oleh karena itu, dalam menggunakan ungkapan ini kita memerlukan beberapa kata khusus yang menjadi penciri dari ungkapan ini, yaitu seperti kata can, could, couldn’t, can’t, be able to, dan manage to yang ditulis dalam berbagai macam tenses. Agar lebih jelasnya, berikut adalah soal latihan tentang ungkapan talking about ability beserta kunci jawabannya.
I. In sentences number 1 – 10, do the underlined verbsand expressions refer to the past, present or future or are they a perfect form? Do they talk about general (g) or specific (s) ability?
|No||Sentence||Tense||General ability (g)
Or specific ability (s)
When I was a child, I was able to stand on my head easily.
|1||I managed to get a doctor’s appointment yesterday.||_____||___|
|2||New research suggests that people will soon be able to lose weight by taking pills.||_____||___|
|3||People are able to do all sorts of things today that were impossible only 30 years ago.||_____||___|
|4||My uncle can’t hear very well.||_____||___|
|5||Sue was unable to understand why I wanted to keep that old chair.||_____||___|
|6||I didn’t manage to phone my sister last night.||_____||___|
|7||I haven’t been able to run since I broke my leg last year.||_____||___|
|8||Tyrannosaurus Rex was able to bite with the force of a lorry on each tooth.||_____||___|
|9||I am not able to do the tango. It’s really difficult.||_____||___|
|10||My friend Alice lost her house keys yesterday, but she was able to climb in through the bathroom window.||_____||___|
II. Underline the correct verb or verb phrase. (Sometimes both are possible).
Animals can / manage to communicate with each other.
- I managed to / could persuade him to come to the restaurant with us.
- She managed to / could persuade anybody to do anything.
- I couldn’t / didn’t manage to understand the instructions for the game.
- Pierre was not able to / couldn’t wash the car because he had to leave early.
- “I can smell / I am smelling something burning, “ said Natasha.
- To be an airline pilot you must be able to / can react quickly in difficult situations.
- Rebecca will not be able to / can’t come at the weekend after all.
- I have been able to / can drive since I was 17.
III. Read puzzles A – E below. Then put phrases number 1 – 5 back in a suitable place in a puzzle.
- In a hotel two businessmen stay in rooms next to each other. The first businessman sleeps very well but the second cannot sleep (example). He phones the other and falls asleep immediately after the call. Why can he now fall asleep?
- Every morning a man gets into the lift o the fourteenth floor, and goes down to the ground floor. ______________________. Every evening when he gets home from work he gets out of the lift on the seventh floor and walks up to the fourteenth floor. Why?
- One day a father and son were badly injured in an accident and taken to hospital. The son was taken to the operating theatre. The surgeon said, “_________________. He is my son.” How is this true?
- Mrs Jones wanted a new house. She liked to see the sun shining into a room, so she asked the builder to build a house with all four walls facing south. ______________________. How?
- A taxi driver picked up a talkative passenger. The driver was tired and didn’t want to talk, ____________. At the end of the journey, he pointed to the meter to show the passenger how much to pay. She walked away from the taxi. How did she realise the truth?
Example: but the second cannot sleep
- , so he pretended not to be able to hear or speak
- He isn’t very tall, and he can’t reach the button.
- I can’t operate on him.
- After much thought, he managed to do it.
|No||Tense||General ability (g)
Or specific ability (s)
- Managed to
- Wasn’t able to
- I am smelling
- Be able to
- I have been able to
- (2) He isn’t very tall, and he can’t reach the button.
- (3) I can’t operate on him.
- (4) After much thought, he managed to do it
- (1) , so he pretended not to be able to hear or speak
Demikianlah soal latihan tentang ungkapan talking about ability beserta kunci jawabannya. Semoga beberapa soal tersebut dapat menambah pemahaman teman – teman tentang ungkapan ini. Terima kasih.