Contoh Soal Latihan Bahasa Inggris tentang Infinitive Verbs dan Gerund – Bentuk infinitive verbs dan gerunds terkadang sbering membuat bingung beberapa orang yang mempelajari bahasa asing ini karena memang ada beberapa aturan dimana kata kerja (verbs) dapat diikuti oleh bentuk infinitive (Verb 1/ bentuk dasar) atau bentuk gerund (Verb-ing). Agar lebih jelas tentang hal tersebut, berikut adalah contoh soal latihan bahasa Inggris tentang infinitive verbs dan gerund beserta kunci jawabannya.
I. Decide which beginning (a & b) or both, matches each ending and tick (v) your choice.
a) They liked to play cards in the evening v but that night they decided to go
b) They liked playing cards in the evening v out instead.
1. a) They stopped to have a drink ___ because they were thirsty.
b) They stopped drinking ___
2. a) He remembered buying some sugar ___ but he couldn’t remember where he’d put it.
b) He remembered to buy some sugar ___
3. a) Oliver tried taking some aspirin ___ but it didn’t make him feel better.
b) Oliver tried to take some aspirin ___
4. a) The prisoner went on to say that ___ she was innocent, again and again.
b) The prisoner went on saying that ___
5. a) She started to talk just ___ at the same moment as me.
b) She started talking just ___
6. a) Simon heard someone screaming ___ once and then everything went quiet.
b) Simon heard someone scream ___
7. a) He began playing the guitar ___ when he was 12 years old.
b) He began to play the guitar ___
8. a) I heard the tap drip ___ and the noise started to send me to sleep.
b) I heard the tap dripping ___
II. Correct any mistakes in the sentences, or write correct if there is no error.
My mother made me to keep my room tidy.
My mother made me keep my room tidy.
- I wanted that he tell me the news. > _______________________________________
- You should stop to work so hard. > _______________________________________
- I enjoy to go to cinema. >_______________________________________________
- He avoided talking about it. > ____________________________________________
- They won’t let us to watch TV late. > _____________________________________
- I look forward to receive your reply. > _____________________________________
- The university doesn’t let students bring food into the classroom. > ______________
- We talked about to go out for a meal one night, didn’t we? > ___________________
III. Fill in the gaps with the correct form of a verb from the box, followed by an appropriate form of the verb in the brackets.
It was one of my bad days when I ruined a new engine. At that time, I wanted to get (get) a big car because the children (1) ___________ (get) bigger, so we (2) ___________ (look) and we (3) ____________ (find) one quite quickly.
A few days later I bought it I (4) ____________ (put) some fuel in it, so I stopped at petrol station and started to fill it up. I (5) ____________ (not notice) what I’m doing in petrol station and I (6) _____________ just ____________ (fill up), paying and driving off. Soon the engine (7) _____________ (make) the most awful noise, and I (8) ____________ (stop) and starting a couple of times. However, it just (9) ___________ (get) worse, so I decided to pull in at another garage and found out that I’d put diesel in a petrol car. Because I’d (10) ______________ (drive) the engine needed 500 pounds’ worth of work. Only a week or two old, too.
- a) They stopped to have a drink v
- a) He remembered buying some sugar v
- a) Oliver tried taking some aspirin v
- b) Oliver tried to take some aspirin v
- b) The prisoner went on saying that v
- b) She started talking just v
- a) Simon heard someone screaming v
- b) He began to play the guitar v
- b) I heard the tap dripping v
- I wanted him to tell me the news.
- You should stop working so hard.
- I enjoy going to the cinema.
- They won’t let us watch TV late.
- I look forward to receiving your reply.
- We talked about going out for a meal one night, didn’t we?
- begin to get
- tend to look
- needed to find
- remembered to put
- didn’t try to notice
- went on just filling up
- begin to make
- tried to stop
- kept on getting
- went on driving
Demikianlah contoh soal latihan bahasa Inggris tentang infinitive verbs dan gerund beserta kunci jawabannya. Berlatih soal adalah salah satu cara untuk memahami aturan grammar dalam bahasa Inggris. Semoga bermanfaat!